Apo On The Wall

Analysis of the poem

Apo on the wall

by Bj Patino

1. There's this man's photo on the wall
2. of my father's office at home, you
3. know, where the father brings his work,
4. where he doesn't look strange
5. still wearing his green uniform
6. and colored breast plates, where,
7. to prove that he works hard, he
8. also brought a photo of his boss
9. whom he calls Apo, so Apo could,
10. you know, hang around on the wall
11. behind him and look over his shoulders
12. to make sure he's snappy and all.
13. Father snapped at me once, caught me
14. sneaking around his office at home
15. looking at stuff on his wall-handguns,
16. plaques, a sword, medals, a rifle
17. told me that was no place for a boy,
18. only men, when he didn't really
19. have to tell me because, you know,
20. that photo of Apo on the wall was already
21. looking at me while I move around,
22. his eyes following me like he was
23. that scary Jesus in the hallway, saying
24. I know, I know that you're doing. Activate Windows



Genre

“Apo on the Wall” is a free verse poetry. A literature that uses language that has been chosen and structured for its meaning, tone, and rhythm to induce a concentrated imaginative awareness of experience or a certain emotional response.

Context

History, because it tells the story of what happened in the past.

Theme

Concerning the child's inability to analyze or communicate what is genuinely happening in the country.

Structure

A free verse that has no rhyme in every stanza.

Tone

As he explains each incident that the character and his father, the tone is ominous.

Why you liked this poem?

I liked the poem because it shows the reality of living in the time of Martial Law. Even though many years have passed it still does not disappear from the minds of the majority. "Apo on the Wall" exposes the truth of the situation from the eyes of millennials and those who experienced martial law firsthand. This poem appealed to me because it demonstrated the child's cleverness in wanting to discover how and who his father's boss was.

How it made you feel?

I was filled with sorrow and pity for those who had to endure it and wished to be free and joyful. During the martial law era, which tortured and executed many individuals, the people suffered a lot.

What is the message you got from it?

I enjoyed the poem just for the figurative language he used to mask what he wanted us to see. What impact it had on people's life, particularly children's. The poem showed me the importance of being non discriminatory because everyone has a different perspective about this.

How it affects your appreciation of the past and the present?

This poem gave me a huge understanding about what happened in the past. Many people are still remembering what Marcos did. That’s why we are trapped in this predicament forever. The sorrow passed down to future generations, and we will never find peace. I also appreciate now that I didn’t experience that kind of pain.

Analyzed by : Mark Anthony S. Alfon   Stem 12 Ohm